Your brain is the best tool you have when dealing with emergencies. The more knowledge you have, the less stuff you need, and the more confidently you can handle a wide range of scenarios.
Although there are great web-based lessons to grow and practice your knowledge, sometimes you just want to physically be with other people to ask random questions and enjoy spending time away from home with local, like-minded folks.
This list is crowdsourced, lead by community member Lucas Pflueger, and frequently updated over time. It’s not exhaustive and we don’t endorse anything on this list — it’s just a directory of local teachers who have passed a basic sniff test.
Please comment below with any feedback or additions so we can keep it updated.
- ICSOS. Winnipeg.
- Earth Tracks. Toronto area.
- Pine Project. Toronto. Has youth programs.
- Sticks and Stones. Muskoka area.
Multiple locations or unknown
- CERT (Community Emergency Response Teams) is a free nationwide program
- Ancient Pathways. AZ, CO, OR, UT.
- Flint & Steel
- LifeSong Wilderness Adventures. CA, OR, TX.
- Outward Bound
- Pathfinder School
- Combat Survival of Alabama. NE AL.
- Randall’s Adventure Training. They helped develop popular field knives.
- Adventure Out
- Black Oak
- Bush Mechanics. San Diego.
- California Survival School
- Thomas Coyne Schools
- Wilderskills. For kids and teens.
- Earth Knack. Southern CO.
- Gone Feral. Boulder.
- Paleo Tracks
- SERETraining.us. The lead instructor, Jessie Krebs, is a contributor to The Prepared.
- The Survival University. West of Colorado Springs.
- Women’s Wilderness. Boulder. Youth and adult programs for women and LGBT.
- Two Coyotes. Monroe. Has youth programs.
- Delaware Nature Society. Mostly youth programs.
- Medicine Hawk / Nature Education Programs. Elmhurst.
- Blackthorn. North-central KS.
- Campcraft Ourdoors. Louisville area.
- Jack Mountain. Courses for those who want to become instructors or field guides.
- Koviashuvik. West ME.
- Maine Primitive. Augusta.
- White Pine. York. Has youth programs.
- Ancestral Knowledge. DC area. Has youth programs.
- Earthwork. NW MA. Has youth programs.
- Rawhide. SE MI.
- None at the moment, but Fox Kits in TN is near the border.
- Big Oak. Missoula.
- Bridger Institute. NW MT.
- Green University. West of Bozeman.
- OWLS. West of Bozeman. Youth program.
- Past Skills. Bozeman.
- Base. Carson City.
- Practical Primitive. Great Meadows.
- Return to Nature. Brunswick area.
- Tom Brown Jr’s Tracker School. Waretown.
- Hawk Circle. Cherry Valley. Mostly youth and family oriented.
- Lake Effect. Watertown. Medical. Contributor to The Prepared.
- Mountain Scout. Hopewell Junction.
- North Camp. Albany-Poughkeepsie area.
- Primitive Pursuits. Ithica. Has youth programs.
- Wild Earth. Poughkeepsie. Has youth programs.
- Wilderness Way. South-central NY.
- Woodland Ways. Albany area. Has youth programs.
- GSI. Cambridge.
- Midwest Native Skills Institute. Cleveland.
- NE Ohio Primitive Living.
- Pathfinder School
- Bush Mechanics. Central OR.
- Bushcraft Northwest. Central-WA border.
- Coyote Trails. Medford.
- Trackers Portland. Has youth programs.
- Big Pig. Knoxville area.
- Fox Kits. SW TN.
- Strategic Self Reliance and Defense. Between Memphis and Nashville.
- Alderleaf Wilderness College
- Bushcraft Northwest. South-central WA.
- Earthwalk Northwest
- Living Wild. North-central WA.
- Mountain Guerrilla / John Mosby. Mostly tactical.
- Nicole Apelian Survive and Thrive. Raymond.
- Raven’s Roots Naturalist School
- Wilderness Awareness. Duvall. Has youth programs.
- Wolf Camp. Tacoma. Has youth programs.