Your brain is the best tool you have when dealing with emergencies. The more knowledge you have, the less stuff you need, and the more confidently you can handle a wide range of scenarios.
But sometimes you just want to physically be with other people to ask random questions and enjoy spending time away from home with local, like-minded folks.
This list is crowdsourced, lead by community member Lucas Pflueger, and frequently updated over time. It’s not exhaustive and we don’t endorse anything on this list — it’s just a directory of local teachers who have passed a basic sniff test.
Please comment below with any feedback or additions so we can keep it updated.
- ICSOS. Winnipeg.
- Earth Tracks. Toronto area.
- Pine Project. Toronto. Has youth programs.
- Sticks and Stones. Muskoka area.
Multiple locations or unknown
- CERT (Community Emergency Response Teams) is a free nationwide program
- Ancient Pathways. AZ, CO, OR, UT.
- Flint & Steel
- LifeSong Wilderness Adventures. CA, OR, TX.
- Outward Bound
- Pathfinder School
- Combat Survival of Alabama. NE AL.
- Randall’s Adventure Training. They helped develop popular field knives.
- Adventure Out
- Black Oak
- Bush Mechanics. San Diego.
- California Survival School
- Thomas Coyne Schools
- Wilderskills. For kids and teens.
- Earth Knack. Southern CO.
- Gone Feral. Boulder.
- Paleo Tracks
- SERETraining.us. The lead instructor, Jessie Krebs, is a contributor to The Prepared.
- The Survival University. West of Colorado Springs.
- Women’s Wilderness. Boulder. Youth and adult programs for women and LGBT.
- Delaware Nature Society. Mostly youth programs.
- Backtracks. Rexburg.
- Storm Creek Outfitters. Near Missoula.
- Twin Eagles. Sandpoint. Has youth programs.
- Medicine Hawk / Nature Education Programs. Elmhurst.
- Blackthorn. North-central KS.
- Campcraft Ourdoors. Louisville area.
- Jack Mountain. Courses for those who want to become instructors or field guides.
- Koviashuvik. West ME.
- Maine Primitive. Augusta.
- White Pine. York. Has youth programs.
- Ancestral Knowledge. DC area. Has youth programs.
- Earthwork. NW MA. Has youth programs.
- Rawhide. SE MI.
- None at the moment, but Fox Kits in TN is near the border.
- Big Oak. Missoula.
- Bridger Institute. NW MT.
- Green University. West of Bozeman.
- OWLS. West of Bozeman. Youth program.
- Past Skills. Bozeman.
- Base. Carson City.
- Practical Primitive. Great Meadows.
- Return to Nature. Brunswick area.
- Tom Brown Jr’s Tracker School. Waretown.
- Hawk Circle. Cherry Valley. Mostly youth and family oriented.
- Lake Effect. Watertown. Medical. Contributor to The Prepared.
- Mountain Scout. Hopewell Junction.
- North Camp. Albany-Poughkeepsie area.
- Primitive Pursuits. Ithica. Has youth programs.
- Wild Earth. Poughkeepsie. Has youth programs.
- Wilderness Way. South-central NY.
- Woodland Ways. Albany area. Has youth programs.
- GSI. Cambridge.
- Midwest Native Skills Institute. Cleveland.
- NE Ohio Primitive Living.
- Pathfinder School
- Bush Mechanics. Central OR.
- Bushcraft Northwest. Central-WA border.
- Coyote Trails. Medford.
- Trackers Portland. Has youth programs.
- Big Pig. Knoxville area.
- Fox Kits. SW TN.
- Strategic Self Reliance and Defense. Between Memphis and Nashville.
- Earth Native. Austin. Has youth programs.
- KR Training. Between Austin and Houston. Self-defense and firearm training.
- Texas Survival
- The Human Path
- Alderleaf Wilderness College
- Bushcraft Northwest. South-central WA.
- Earthwalk Northwest
- Living Wild. North-central WA.
- Mountain Guerrilla / John Mosby. Mostly tactical.
- Nicole Apelian Survive and Thrive. Raymond.
- Raven’s Roots Naturalist School
- Wilderness Awareness. Duvall. Has youth programs.
- Wolf Camp. Tacoma. Has youth programs.