What did covid-19 expose as a weakness in your preps?

No prep is ever done or perfect. So whenever something bad happens I try to learn from it as a real-world stress test.

What did the last few months with covid make you realize was a weakness in your preps?

My husband and I already had the important supplies on hand like respirators and food. But the biggest “d’oh!” moment for us was that we didn’t have some of our food supplies labeled with purchase dates to know which food should be eaten first. It probably won’t matter, but if we needed to survive on what we have for a long time, it would be nice to know what will spoil first. We solved this by putting a Sharpie marker on a string by our food shelf and will write the year on everything we buy.

We also did not have enough gloves. We had a box of 100, but two people can run through those pretty quickly when using a pair or two every day over months.

If you could go back in time before COVID, what would you change about your preps?

• Best Replies

• Comments (12)

Hair Clippers (not urgent but helpful and it didn’t dawn on me until most were sold out).  Or even having general purposes “scissors” in a go-bag (I had/have medical sheers which might work but decent scissors don’t take up too much space and seem more appropriate than a knife for some tasks).

I had previously bought travel size liquid bottle/containers, originally for having water to flush wounds for a first aide kit but they work great for holding hand sanitizer/refilling from larger bottles.  Just having some unallocated “spares” to repurpose on demand was a pleasant lesson-learned (less of a “would change” more a “happy accident”).

I was disappointed when I tried to refill a smaller sanitizer container and the size of the hole made it impossible. Good idea with the travel size ones!

My partner lost her job because of the lockdown and we got caught without much of a savings account. We had just paid off the credit cards from some big holiday spending and a holiday trip. We stupidly bought those things by planning to dip into savings.

My biggest regrets have been not getting my shop wired for electricity and not planting trees three years ago when we moved in. Also not cycling my chickens out sooner. Most everything else I already had or was able to get easily enough. I’ve had a set of Wahl hair clippers for years because I cut my own hair anyway.

What does “Also not cycling my chickens out sooner” mean?

Hens stop laying after a few years. Mine are nearly three years old and aren’t laying much now. We only get maybe six eggs a week. I bought some new chicks a couple of months ago but they won’t be laying until the fall. If I’d bought them last fall I’d be good on eggs now.

definitely did not have enough food in our house. too used to going to the market every sunday

Lack of variety in food storage: most of my food preps were the emergency bucket types (Augason Farms, Emergency Essentials, etc). NYC apartment, so I never had a chest freezer: fixed that recently and, with a vacuum sealer, am looking forward to better, more varied reserves.

Logistically, I realized I needed more nuance with BOBs. In thinking about an “oh shit they’re locking down NYC a la Wuhan” scenario, I needed more than just the BOBs. I created a secondary level of prepped gear, which basically just encompassed more robust camping kit than the BOB setups as well as more food. BOBs are what I grab if we are only making one trip out the door; this is what I take if I can make a second trip.

Wish I would have listened to that voice in my head 18 months ago and apply for a handgun or rifle/shotgun permit. It’s a nightmare in NYC (and, for the record, I’m glad it is). But yeah, huge oversight.

I regret not having some home defense stuff ready. The boogaloo aint happening yet but I was nervous when the police started saying they wont answer most calls. Now you cant find anything. I cant even find 9mm ammo.

I typically just wipe down doorknobs and light switches and stuff with a microfiber cloth.  The only disinfecting product I had approved for COVID was a half a bottle of Lysol Bathtub cleaner.  I used it to clean the surfaces when we started lockdown, and all I’ve been able to find since is another bottle of the same stuff.  I stocked up on food about a week before everyone started freaking out here, but I never thought of household cleaning supplies.

Overall we’ve been very comfortable moving into quarantine and haven’t wanted for much.  I do need to reconsider my duct tape supply though.  My 5 year old has gone through 1.5 rolls building a cardboard fort in the living room.

Did your kiddo call it their bug out location? 😂

An extra freezer would have been helpful. They were one of the first items to be sold out here. A better electricity back up system as well as we already had 3 (short) power fails. Now we have only two 80W solar panels and a 100ah AMG battery with a 250V inverter which only charges small devices and batteries, especially as we live in a cold (cloudy) area.