I’d like to avoid using a cook kit and just carry ready-to-eat meals in my emergency bags
While building my emergency bag in my car and my one at home to evacuate out with, I am faced with the dilemma of including a cook kit or not.
- Ability to cook freeze dried foods
- Cook anything I might hunt or gather
- Boil sketchy water and make it safe
- Heat up water just as a comfort for coffee, tea, or hot chocolate
- Additional weight, space, cost
- Slower to prepare a meal and eat it then just grabbing a granola bar
I can maybe justify having the cook kit in my home bag because I that will be surviving for a longer period of time, but 100% of the time I’ve needed a meal or snack in my car emergency bag, it has been because I don’t want to stop by a McDonalds and would rather just get something quick and cheaper. So up until now I have just stocked some granola bars that I buy by the box.
What other snacks or meals could I possibly add to my car emergency bag that I can quickly grab and consume? Something that can withstand the heat, be filling, and nutritious.