100 things to disappear first

I was going through some prep info today and found this article originally published in 2007 on Fluwiki. It is a very interesting list of items and has been helpful in planning some of my preps, so I thought I would share it with you. Some of you may have already read this, but it is worth looking at from time to time. I keep tinned gravy in my preps because of this list.

(I have added spaces between the lines for ease of reading)

Quote begins:

Tips From Sarajevo: 100 Items to Disappear First

Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy…target of thieves, invites marauders; maintenance etc.)

Water Filters/Purifiers

Portable Toilets

Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 – 12 months to become dried, for home uses.

Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)

Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.

Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.

Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.

Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar

Rice – Beans – Wheat

Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.)

Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)

Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY – note – food grade if for drinking.

Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.)

Survival Guide Book.

Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)

Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.

Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)

Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)

Vitamins

Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous without this item)

Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.

Thermal underwear (Tops & Bottoms)

Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)

Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)

Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)

Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many)

Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels

Milk – Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)

Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid) (A MUST)

Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)

Coleman’s Pump Repair Kit

Tuna Fish (in oil)

Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)

First aid kits

Batteries (all sizes…buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)

Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies

Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)

Flour, yeast & salt

Matches. (“Strike Anywhere” preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first

Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators

Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)

Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts

Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches, “No. 76 Dietz” Lanterns

Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experience; Historic Times)

Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting – if with wheels)

Men’s Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc

Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)

Fishing supplies/tools

Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams

Duct Tape

Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes

Candles

Laundry Detergent (liquid)

Backpacks, Duffle Bags

Garden tools & supplies

Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies

Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.

Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)

Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)

Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel

Bicycles…Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc

Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats

Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)

Board Games, Cards, Dice

d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer

Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets

Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)

Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)

Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc

Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)

Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)

Soysauce, vinegar, boullions/gravy/soupbase

Reading glasses

Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)

“Survival-in-a-Can”

Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens

Boy Scout Handbook, / also Leaders Catalog

Roll-on Window Insulation Kit (MANCO)

Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky

Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts

Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)

Lumber (all types)

Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)

Cots & Inflatable mattresses

Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.

Lantern Hangers

Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts

Teas

Coffee

Cigarettes

Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal etc)

Paraffin wax

Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.

Chewing gum/candies

Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)

Hats & cotton neckerchiefs

Goats/chickens

From a Sarajevo War Survivor:Stockpiling helps, but you never no how long trouble will last, so locate near renewable food sources.

Living near a well with a manual pump is like being in Eden.

After awhile, even gold can lose its luster. But there is no luxury in war quite like toilet paper. Its surplus value is greater than gold’s.

If you had to go without one utility, lose electricity – it’s the easiest to do without (unless you’re in a very nice climate with no need for heat.)

Canned foods are awesome, especially if their contents are tasty without heating. One of the best things to stockpile is canned gravy – it makes a lot of the dry unappetizing things you find to eat in war somewhat edible. Only needs enough heat to “warm”, not to cook. It’s cheap too, especially if you buy it in bulk.

Bring some books – escapist ones like romance or mysteries become more valuable as the war continues. Sure, it’s great to have a lot of survival guides, but you’ll figure most of that out on your own anyway – trust me, you’ll have a lot of time on your hands.

The feeling that you’re human can fade pretty fast. I can’t tell you how many people I knew who would have traded a much needed meal for just a little bit of toothpaste, rouge, soap or cologne. Not much point in fighting if you have to lose your humanity. These things are morale-builders like nothing else.

Slow burning candles and matches, matches, matches.

More matches

End Quote

• Comments (40)

In short, many mundane, readily available items will become scarce.  so what’s unusual bout that?

Hi hikermor – 

I consider the source when reading articles or comments. I also consider who might be helped by certain information, particularly persons new to prepping.

This article was written by a civilian who survived the atrocities of the Bosnian War and then used their first hand experience to list the items that disappeared first in their situation.

This is from the perspective of a civilian survivor, not a prepper, from a human being who endured the suffering and horrors of a conflict turned genocide.

To quote you: “In short, many mundance, readily available items will become scarce. so what’s unusual bout (sp) that?”

To clarify, I never stated that the article or it’s contents were “unusual”.

Mundane is defined as an adjective:  lacking interest or excitment; dull

Somehow, I don’t believe that any survivor of that conflict would consider those items “mundane”. 

It is well worth reading about the Bosnian conflict, the genocide, the peacekeeping forces who served. I know someone who served there. It was far from “mundane”.

Thank you for your comment, hikermor. I hope the above information can help you.

This long, unorganized list of common items merely informs us that when normal commerce is disrupted, commodities that were formerly easy to obtain will become scarce.  Some idea of the order in which stuff disappeared from shelves might have been more helpful.

As it stands, the lesson seems to be that in a tight situation, one needs to be as self sufficient as possible.  Most of us already know that.

I agree with all your points, hikermor. I quoted the article as they wrote it.

It is not an example of literary talent, however, the message in the last 8 or so paragraphs resonated with me. 

My mother woke up one morning and there were tanks everywhere, hobnail boots hammering the cobblestone streets outside their door. 

They had been invaded that quickly, although my grandmother saw it coming and was unable to prepare.

When the invasion of their country and city occurred, it was more than about prepping. None of them knew when it was going to be over. As the days, months and years ground on, people redefined survival. They scavenged and begged farmers and factories for food, very discreetly for fear of arrest or worse. 

They were beaten down and starving to death at the end, before the Liberation of the Netherlands.

When I read the article, unorganized as it is, I thought of how this person had to survive, unprepared in their city. 

The final paragraphs moved me about what ultimately became important to the writer, trapped in a war with no knowledge of when it would be over.

This addresses another aspect of prepping: we prepare and are as self-sufficient as time and chance will facilitate our survival. We hope for the best.

By the way, your comments made me dig deeper for why this particular article was important to me. It wasn’t the list. It was insight into what becomes important to a person during a protracted crisis, such as a war.

I plan to use that information into thinking and studying long term stress and survival, just in case.

Thank you again hikemor for your perspective. You have a particular way of commuicating and I like it. I like that this community has discourse and different opinions but can communicate freely.

ps. apologies for typos – coming off a migraine and hands a bit slow

Interesting list.  Having anything canned, such as gravy, is not something that interests me.  Anything canned has a relatively short shelf life, which means you need to eat it regularly to rotate your stock.  No offense, but I can’t eat that yucky stuff.  I eat almost nothing from a can, except for tomato product.  If you stock wheat berries, then one can make their own gravy from whatever meat they have harvested.  Also don’t understand the bleach.  It is bulky & has a short shelf life.  I prefer pool shock which can last a long time.

There are several fuels on that list.  I don’t really stock any except some gas and extra diesel, with the diesel needed for the tractor to greatly expand gardens if there is a need for self sufficiency.  I expect all fuels to run out in the short term, so I plan on doing without.  Stocking quantities of fuel can be exceedingly hazardous.  For me there are two fuel exceptions.  Solar power, which is safe, silent & renewable.  For that reason I have a supply of panels, two solar generators and some items that can run directly from a panel… such as DC water heater elements and a well pump.  Then there is wood, which is readily available for me, rather safe and renewable.

Most certainly agree about having a home well but no need for a manual pump.  IMO, it is more important to understand the parts of a home well and understand what is needed & how to pull the dead pump.  In the country, there will be home wells everywhere.  Hand pumps, you just won’t find.  Best to have the metal pipes & fittings to attach to the pitless adapter.  Then with a well bucket, you are set.  Even without a well bucket, I think most folks could find the parts & a way to get some water out of a well, as long as the pump is removed.  Pure, clean water is the #1 priority.  Because of that, I feel the knowledge needed to access well water with the grid down just might be one of the most important survival skills.

I don’t stock matches, but have all sorts of fire starters.

Hi Redneck,

My husband and I aren’t fans of canned gravy, either.  I don’t stock piles of it.  I “lose” the canned gravy in my own homemade gravy or donate it. We are similar in our canned storage. My pantry has canned tomatoes and some legumes and tuna, etc. Mostly for ease of prep if there is no power to rehydrate. I spread the risk of various scenarios for food prep across dry/frozen/canned items .

I think some of the differences are because of where this person was situated and the conditions in which they found themselves.

I think they had certain items because that was all that was available in their city. It was a way to understand what survival means in another country during a war, and what that person now considers as “prepping”, having survived the war.

We are very blessed as preppers in North America that we are able to do things differently and safely. We have a certain set of circumstances. I don’t know what this person’s circumstances were prior to the war or how “modern” Sarajevo was.

I reconsidered what “comfort” might mean under extreme conditions.

The person warmed it a bit on a candle, then had it with “dry, unappetizing things that they found to eat.” It sounds like they had to scavenge for food which was very dangerous.

I can understand how it became comforting for them considering their circumstances. It wasn’t much, but a bit warm and if one is very hungry, perhaps it made their meagre dry meal seem like more.

They lived near a well with a manual pump, so that meant dangerous trips out to get water.

They talk about not feeling human and how they would have traded a “much needed meal” for a bit of toothpaste, soap, rouge or perfume just to feel human again. It doesn’t sound like they had a lot of items on hand and that they were hungry and depressed. 

With respect to the well bucket, I am going to go over that with my husband. We are on town water/sewer, but he has wanted to have manual pump for emergencies. He needs to see the well bucket info from the other thread.

Thank you for your analysis and reply, much appreciated.

After entry for “socks” … also relates to entry for “boots”, recommend add:

anti-fungal foot powder.  It used to be readily available at Walmart but times change. Only more expensive spray cans sold.  There is a small – very small – replacement for the once prominent Tinactin brand 3.8 oz powder but it costs six times as much at a pharma store.Tolnaftate is the active ingredient.

On my load-bearing suspenders is a pouch with a plastic cylinder tube of Singer sewing machine oil and a cosmetic brush for application. Also stuffed in this pouch is a can of bold opener…my brand is “Liquid Wrench” but there are others.

Number one rule is look after your feet. Really good point and timing. I am adding it to my first aid/medical supply replenish shopping list. Will note the info also. Thank you.

I  have Liquid Wrench, and need to pick up 3 in 1 oil and Seafoam oil.

Is the sewing machine oil used like a 3 in 1 oil?

I do use Singer sewing machine oil just like 3 in 1 oil. Singer is somewhat thinner than 3 in 1 and a little thicker than WD-40.

Thanks for sharing this great list Ubique!  I had my first experience with wide scale outages when corona first hit last year. Some of the things that I noticed were out were: pretty much all food, toilet paper, paper products, and especially yeast and powdered milk. 

The list above makes sense for most items and can be organized or categorized into a few groups. Essentials (rice, beans, wheat, milk, bread), luxury items (generators, bicycles, chocolate), fuel, and maintenance (glue, duct tape, screws).

I can see many of these items being bought up instantly or over time if a disaster were to persist for a longer term. I liked looking over the list and thinking if I have a supply of that, or if that is something I would like to add to my storage of supplies so that if they do run out, i’ll be set. Also good to study this list and buy those items for barter and trade.

Hi Liz,

The items that you noted as out of stock matches up with my local town store. Even as we were prepared, it was scary to see all those bare shelves. 

Organization for items is a sensible approach. It makes pantry management much easier. It’s important to store what you eat and have some treat items to prevent “food fatigue” or for barter.

Once you get food and water (we use Katadyne drip – large unit or there is the Berkley) set up, then you can work on the the other items. This way it doesn’t seem so overwhelming.

I’m glad the list was helpful for you and I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Thank you, Liz.

In re the Sarajevo survivor’s comment “…toothpaste …soap, cologne … morale builders”;

From the Department of the Army Field Manual titled SURVIVAL, FM 21-76 of October 1957:

“8. Aids to Maintaining Health, a. Keep Clean, (3) If you have a toothbrush, use it regularly.  Soap or table salt and soda make good substitutes for toothpaste, and a small green twig, chewed to a pulpy consistency at one end, will serve as a toothbrush. After eating rince your mouth if purified water is available.”

The personal hygiene is both for physical health and more recently established, well after the date of this FM, minimizes stress.  Changes from routine – even if the change is something pleasant, like a vacation trip, causes stress.

Misc:  IMO, less new technical material, the older military survival manuals are better than the newer ones.

Hi Bob,

The writers of the early manuals understood the basics and why it was so important.

My grandmother made sure there was soap, even though it meant sacrificing a portion of the meagre bits of food that they were able to acquire.

She told her family: We may die of starvation, but we will not be dying of disease.

She was a smart woman.

One of the first things I overstocked when the pandemic hit was soap. Your grandmother was indeed a smart woman (and clearly, so are you). People get so excited about high-tech titanium gear etc. (and by people, I mean me!) when the basics of clean water and soap are far more critical, particularly in a health crisis. I also went the “extra mile” and bought some luxury, extra good-smelling and fancy soaps that were slightly more expensive but more pleasant to use. They’ve added a little dose of pleasure to what has been a difficult year, and I’m glad I did it. 

I understand how to make my own soap, if necessary, but that would be some pretty harsh soap, I’m afraid.  Because of that I keep lots of soap in stock.

I like to purchase in bulk, so I always have around 100 bars of soap and around 20 tubes of toothpaste in my pantry.  I get the bulk packs at Sam’s Club.  Soon as I finish one pack, I purchase a replacement and put it on the bottom of the stack so as to rotate the stock.

I also keep a 5 gallon pail of dishwashing detergent in my prepper storage.  It is a good, cheap multipurpose cleaner that can also be used for shampoo or hand cleaner.  I get mine from http://www.webstaurantstore.com and the 5 gallon pail costs $32.  I use that online store for all sorts of bulk food items, such as seasonings.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/advantage-chemicals-5-gallon-liquid-dish-soap/146DISHSOP5G.html

soap

I am embarassed to say how much toothpaste I have on hand. I used coupons plus sale timing so the toothpaste was free. I stocked us up and made two large donations to food banks (people don’t donate personal hygiene items and those are some of the most expensive in a grocery shop.)

Have you noticed that there are expiry dates on toothpaste (and other items) that never had them before? The only reasoning I can think of is that some toothpaste has a “whitening” (bleach) component. I have used “expired” toothpaste for years and the dental health in the household is fine. 

I appreciate the info on bulk item purchasing. I do that for items wherever possible and then decant/transfer into my working supply. It makes a huge difference to the bottom line.

With respect to soap making, I can offer the title of a very well written and user friendly book. It is called “The Art of Soap Making” by Merilyn Mohr. The ISBN number is: 0-920656-03-X and when I bought it $9.95 CAD.

This book covers (with illustrations) “Simplified directions for making: Fragrant Hand Soaps, Inexpensive Laundry Soap, Leather Soap, Insecticidal Soap for Plants, Shaving Lather, Toothpaste, Herbal Soaps and Shampoos.”

I haven’t tried it myself yet, but it is on my to do list (triaged after many other tasks that are on my “get ‘er done now list”.)

I got my soap recipe from Grandpappy’s Survival Manual For Hard Times.  It is my favorite self sufficiency book and he devotes 10 pages, with pictures, to making homemade soap from rainwater, wood ash & animal fat.

book

Awesome! Thank you – I am getting a copy.

That is the recipe my great grandmother and grandparents used – everyone boiled down their ash to make the lye.

One of my prized finds in a used book store was “The Foxfire Book” from 1968 edited by Eliot Wigginton from Cornell University. He took students and went to the Appalachians to interview and learn from people who lived there.

He documented skills at risk of being lost and included photographs in addition to teaching his students. He also educated people about the ingenuity and remarkable skills of Appalachian people.

Ubique,  I remember the exact same tube of toothpaste in the guest bathroom drawer of my grandma’s house ever since I was a kid. And every few years when I forgot my toothpaste when visiting her, I would use some. It got a bit harder over the years, but it worked.

Hi Alisa – I’m smiling because I think that tube of toothpaste made the round into a few other bathrooms. Other people did the same thing because there wasn’t an expiry date.

Sometime I think manufacturers count on certain knowledge being lost by each succeeding generation. Then they change things in a way that actually causes each generation more money. It’s not very ethical.

But, if we all communicate like this, that’s when we can catch this bits of information and share it.

That’s a super smart idea redneck. 🙂 

I definitely do not ever want to be without laundry detergent, dish soap, and body soap. I like being clean and know that is a big part of our health. 

I’ve always made sure to have a couple extra bars of soap or an extra jug of Tide. But i’m going to have to buy me a 5 gallon bucket now! 

Do you have any tips for saving on shipping from the Webstaurant site? I loaded up a cart with them last year, all excited about their items – and when I went to check out shipping was several HUNDRED dollars. So I never did buy the stuff. I’d love to order more from them – they have great items and in sizes that are perfect – but the shipping was just a deal breaker for me. (And also – really you can use that as shampoo? That’s awesome!)

Hi M.E.  – I checked Webstaurant out and they are a wholesaler, so they don’t hide their shipping costs in the final price the customer pays.

They have 99.00/month plan to reduce shipping costs. It’s a lot of money and that plan would probably appeal to a restaurant or big volume buyers.

There’s a couple of ways you could try to save on shipping.

If you could get friends and family together to do an order, then you could all split the shipping cost. You could even split some of the large items.

The other possibility is to call Webstaurant and tell them that you are really interested in purchasing from them, but the shipping cost is a bit of a stretch for you.

Ask if they can reduce the cost by putting your order on the truck when they can fit in your order with someone else’s order that may be shipping to your community. 

If you know someone in trucking who travels near their depot, maybe you could work a deal with them to haul your order.

The other option is to ask if there is anything they can do to reduce the shipping cost. Maybe they have a retail outlet for the public? Some wholesalers do that.

It’s worth it to ask them. Good luck!

Thanks. I like the idea of asking them to fit in my order with someone else’s; would not have thought of that. Maybe they could do a special during, say, National Preparedness Month and have scheduled shipments to disaster-prone areas!  Could be a great way of them getting business and helping the broader community.  If I did buy from them it would probably be so much stuff that I would only order once a year or so, not like most restaurants. They have such cool canned goods! 

M. E., another idea could be to just speak to the manager of a restaurant or maybe a hotel. Say that you want to order some large thing of soap and ask if you could give them some money and a bit extra for a jug of soap the next time they place an order. Your chains like McDonalds probably won’t do that, but the small mom and pop restaurants could maybe  do that as they are trying to make as much money as they can. 

If you don’t want to go straight to the manager, you could do some recon and make small chat with the waitress who serves you as you are just eating there normally. Maybe start off talking about their great restaurant and wondering how things look behind the scenes in the back room. Talk about how you are a prepper and think it would be so cool to buy an industrial restaurant sized bucket of soap, ketchup, whatever… and how Costco just isn’t doing it for ya. But that you don’t have the connections because you don’t own a restaurant. Maybe she’ll offer to connect you with the owner.

Do a Google search for ‘Restaurant supply store’ or ‘Restaurant Depot’. These are like XXXL Costco servings at really cheap and good discounts. I heard you can only go in there if you are a business owner and have to show proof that you own one. Call ahead and ask what is needed to shop there to find out how to get in. Or if you have a buddy who owns a business, invite them to go with you. Or see if starting an ebay store, or a small LLC could get you in. You don’t need your business to actually sell things and work, but just exist. 

I’ve seen some YouTube videos of preppers shopping at these restaurant supply stores and it is just a giant warehouse. You can get like a 10 pound slab of meat for dirt cheap, gallon size of mayo, and other huge portion sizes that restaurants use. I think I remember them having a whole cleaning section too. You won’t have to pay for shipping there.

Thanks, great ideas!

The way I see it is shipping ain’t free for anyone.  That price is either included in the unit price or it is listed separately.  You just need to compare the checkout price to choose your vendor.

Hi M.E. – Good thinking on the soap. My grandmother took a holistic approach to survival. I absolutely understand the draw to tools/tech and gear. It’s kind of the “jewellery” of prepping – the shiny stuff that is way more fun to research and plan for. Buying soap, not so much. So, it gets missed in prepping or not planned for with respect to stocking quantities.

Good thinking on your “extra mile” soaps. Those luxury and fancy soaps you purchased are an example of prep items that can soothe us and help in a way we can’t measure, as we would the nutritional value in a cup of rice. (They can also be a much needed barter item in a crunch).

Our brains work better when we are relaxed and can manage the stress of a crisis. Plus, it is just kinder to ourselves to acknowledge that we need some joy in our lives no matter what the situation. We don’t have to run around like Spartans to try to prove how tough we are and ignore that side of our psyches. 

Something I started growing and storing, which you can do indoors, is Lavender. I dry it thoroughly at the end of season and store it in a sealed container. It can be used in home made soaps or sachets. Lavender and other nicely scented herbs could also be used in the same way the nicer soaps are used, as a form of self comfort or a barter item (or gift if someone is having a tough time). Essential oils could also be a good prep. The bottles don’t take up a lot of room.

Your reply got me thinking. I am going to review what items would be comforting for me in a crisis. 

Thank you M.E. If you hadn’t mentioned your luxury soaps, I wouldn’t have caught that in my own preps. Much appreciated.

What do you guys do with the little slivers of bar soap near the end of the bar’s life? I try and use them up until they are almost no there, but is there a way to combine them all and make them into another full bar?

Trying not to be wasteful.

Alisa,  a couple of decades ago, an article in the Wall Street Journal told how the motel industry was taking the used soaps – all leftover sizes – collecting them and compressing them for relabeling for next guest in room.

The article got me to do the same with bar soap slivers. I forgot what I used as solvent for molding process but my “machine” was the fold-over contraption used to make taco skins, the other Mexican food wrappers and the similiar types for Peking duck.

It worked but not cost effective. Now, back to the old method until the arthritic fingers can’t hold the smallest remnants. 

Hi again – Well, you can grate the bar soap and use it that in solution. Some people grate it and recycle it into their handmade soap batches.

Another way is to get a buff puff or similar netting material, make a pouch for the soap and slip the little sliver in there. That’s how I use mine up.

You got me wondering what would happen if you carefully melted the slivers down and poured it into a pan or mould and then let it harden?

I’ve never heard of a buff puff before! hahaha that name is pretty funny. But I looked it up and get what you mean. That’s a great use for them. I usually get the cheap loofahs, and sticking my sliver into there is a great idea. 

I wish that you could melt down your soap like wax and mold them into a single bar. But I don’t think it’ll work…

I checked and here’s the link:

Instructables Reforming Soap Scraps

I’m going to try this when I get enough soap scraps saved.

ARE YOU SERIOUS!? That is totally awesome! I’m going to save mine as well. My soap slivers usually are much much smaller than the ones that person used, so mine will probably take a year or two, but i’ll try it as well. 

Thanks for finding that!

You are welcome!

It will take forever to get those scraps, but I’m trying this – it looks so neat!

I put them in my shaving mug.

I have a small lavender plant (as well as rosemary) in my front yard, and it has brought me a lot of comfort during the pandemic. Once in a while when I go on a walk, I’ll pick just a leaf of one of them on my way back in to the house, rub it between my fingers, and enjoy the scent. Those little moments of “pause” and joy make such a difference. On the practical side, I’ve heard that lavender can help keep moths away from wool clothing. I haven’t tried it myself.  Mint is also very nice, and medicinal for stomach upsets. 

Isn’t lavender great? I grew French Lavender last and it is much more fragrant, plus I really liked the leaves. They were different than the English Lavender I grew, but both were nice.

Rosemary is another wonderful herb – so aromatic.

I do the same thing with my leaves! I hear you on the “pause and joy” I watched bees, butterflies, dragonflies and hummingbirds around the flowers I grew to support beneficial insects.  It’s a way to enter another world when observing them. So beautiful!

I’ll remember the lavender as moth deterrent. Thank you. 

Mint is nice. I have grown several varieties (always experimenting). I like changing it up each year with certain plants. I’ve grown spearmint and it was really nice. I keep mint oil for stomach upset and use a drop in boiling water.

I watched a video testing out popular CLPs for firearms and two products stood out as the best. I will be buying some of these to put in storage to take care of my guns. I can see guns, ammos, and maintenance parts being some of the first items to disappear. 

BreakFree CLP

Clenzoil CLP

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9BMV4H