Testing expired hand sanitizer for effectiveness
Are there any ways to test hand sanitizer? I have some that is beyond the ‘best by’ date and would prefer not to waste it if it is still viable.
Bob - September 4, 2021
Good morning Bigwig,
I’m not answering your question. I don’t know.
What I’ve been doing is taking “expired” hand sanitizer and shooting a couple of squeezes of 91% alcohol (Walmart’s product has both screw lid and stream ability on top of screw lid).
So far, my long ago injured hands still work factoring in arthritus.
Bradical - September 4, 2021
Two of the active ingredients in most hand sanitizers are alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. Alcohol concentrations decrease through evaporation and hydrogen peroxide slowly converts to water over time making it less effective.
If you have stored your hand sanitizer unopened in a cool bathroom closet, it should be good for a while longer after it has expired compared to an opened to air bottle that you leave in your hot car.
Bob’s above tip on adding a squirt of alcohol probably will help revive it and extend the life.
It’s not necessarily going to be totally obsolete at the best by date, because each batch and storage situation is going to either slow down or speed up the decline of these products.
Hand sanitizer is so cheap and easily available today because places have an excess, so even though I hate wasting things too, it might be a good time to replace it and get something you know will be the most effective. I saw a store offer a buy 1 get 2 free deal on hand sanitizer. They can’t get rid of the stuff fast enough.
Gideon ParkerStaff - September 4, 2021
Your hand sanitizer may smell funky or different than you are used to, but that could be due to changes in manufacturing this past year and isn’t necessarily a sign that it has gone bad.
Bill Masen - September 7, 2021
We test ours by taking a small amout and setting it on fire, if it burns once lit we consider it effective.
- California megafloods! New research, articles, prepping challenges, etc. - 1 hour ago
- Endure: A tabletop RPG for preppers - 1 hour ago
- Buying extra supplies as a hedge against inflation and be better prepared - 5 hours ago
- Any advice on potato/root storage cellar? - 9 hours ago
- Low round count drills for measuring your shooting proficiency - 1 day ago
This forum is heavily moderated to keep things valuable to as many people as possible. Full community policies are here. The basics:
- 1. Be nice to each other.
- 2. Stay focused on prepping.
- 3. Avoid politics, religion, and other arguments.
- 4. No unfounded conspiracies, fake news, etc.
- 5. Debate ideas, not people.