Recommendations on .308 Bolt Gun

I haven’t gotten into long range precision shooting yet, but that’s something I’m interested in now (I already have all of the ordinary bases covered: ARs, pistols, 22’s etc). What I’d like is to make this an enjoyable project which I can upgrade and improve over time, gaining knowledge and competency of long range shooting in general.

The main models I’ve been looking at are the Ruger American Predator, Savage 110, and Remington 700 SPS Tactical. What I’d plan to upgrade on these are the stock, trigger, bolt etc. I definitely need something with a threaded barrel since I plan on using a suppressor which I recently picked up.

Thanks for any feedback you guys can provide.

• Comments (13)

I have no experience with .308 but when younger I had a Remington 700 BDL 7mm magnum, and it was a really fine gun.  I had it too for long range shooting.  Problem was, I found out I wasn’t all that accurate at long range shooting.  🙂

I don’t know how experienced you are with suppressors but my experience is they don’t do a whole lot of good when shooting high velocity ammo.  There is a very big bang with such, plus you have the loud crack as the bullet goes supersonic.  Almost everything I shoot now is subsonic and that works perfectly with all my suppressors.  This is especially so when shooting my 15-22 but also with my 300 Blackout SBR.  With the 300 Blackout I keep both subsonic ammo and high velocity.  The subsonic is in 20 round magazines and the high velocity is in 30 round.  The gun is much quieter with subsonic.

The 3 models you named are some of the best entry models on the market, I would also throw the Tikka T3X and the new Aero Precision Solus into the mix too. To elaborate on what Redneck said about suppressors, the point of them on high velocity rounds isn’t so much how quiet they are, as to how they change the tone and sound of the shot, as well as negating muzzle flash. The combination of those 2 things make it much more difficult to locate where an incoming shot originated from. 

Thanks for the feedback, interesting that you mention the Aero, I have an Aero AR and didn’t even know they made bolt guns. Seems to be out of my price range, but cool to see that.

I already have a suppressor compatible with .308 so that’s why I am seeking a threaded barrel.

They just announced them at shot show this year is probably why you haven’t seen them yet. They’re supposed to be more of an already upgraded out of the box package, while not getting into stupid money territory for a bolt gun. I should also mention the Bergara B-14 series as another contender for a strong entry rifle. 

I know about the Tikka and Bergara but they are out of my price range. I am seeking something entry level which I can upgrade and learn on. If I spend around $1k or more on those more premium guns I don’t think I’ll bother improving much. Seeking a project gun.

If you want a project gun then definitely stick with one of the 3 you named. All of those models have tremendous aftermarket support, especially the 700. I have a Ruger American in .17hmr and it’s an absolute tack driver. Need a Suppressor for it too honestly….

For sure. After I complete this project I think a suppressed 22 bolt gun will be next!

Here is my CZ 455 Varmint with a Sparrow suppressor.  I don’t think it is possible to shoot any quieter than using this gun with subsonic ammo.  I’ve heard louder BB guns.  I enjoy shooting 22LR suppressed so much, I have two Sparrows.  Besides this gun, they are used on a SBR 15-22 and a couple of Browning Buckmarks.

cz 455 Varmint

That is beautiful, must be a joy to shoot. During COVID in 2021 I was looking for a CZ 457 but they were sold out everywhere. Looks like a great rifle.

You know, it is a great rifle that is fun to shoot.  IMO, CZ makes nice guns that don’t break the bank.  But for real fun, it is hard to beat a S&W 15-22.  It is very affordable and will accept most any gear designed for a regular AR.  Mine has the same grips, trigger & sights as my ARs, plus is likewise suppressed and is a SBR.  This is the gun I use to train new shooters.  Below shows a young college student from Nigeria who used to help me on the farm.  He became a great shot with the 15-22.

IMG_0124

The 15-22 is very cheap and practical for kids or new shooters, but it feels too plastic-y and light to be something I would probably invest in. I use a CMMG 22LR conversion bolt in my ARs sometimes when I don’t want to burn up 5.56, that works great.

I’ll say one more thing & leave it with that.  I own all sorts of rifles and pistols, but I shoot the 15-22 more than all the other guns combined.  It has handled thousands of rounds flawlessly.  IMO, “plastic” gets a bad rap.  IMO, polymer guns can be just as reliable as all metal.  Look at Glock.  Plus the 22lr doesn’t really tax any gun.

It’s not a question of reliability, I understand it’s cheap and practical, but I don’t like the feel of the rifle in my hands. Since you mention polymer, I agree that it is in the same category. I have a Glock and a steel frame CZ, and while the Glock is reliable, the feeling of shooting the CZ is much more enjoyable. It just feels much more substantial. Another comparison I would make is between a Glock 44 and a Ruger Mark IV. Much prefer shooting the Ruger, no question, just due to the feeling of holding and shooting the gun.