Prepping for Self-Managed Abortion Post-Roe v. Wade
In the event that Roe v. Wade is repealed in the U.S., access to abortion will fall to the state level to legislate. Many people with uteruses will very quickly have a much more difficult time accessing healthcare that allows them to end a pregnancy.
Therefore, pro-choice preppers who want to understand self-managed abortion care may be interested in learning how to gather materials, build local community networks of support, and access information about how to perform different kinds of as-safe-as-possible self-managed abortions for people with uteruses in your community.
I’ve been doing a little research about this and wanted to share what I found.
This is obviously a topic that can get super politically charged. I’m not interested in having those conversations. If this prep isn’t something you’re okay with for any reason, you don’t have to do it. I’m sharing information in case somebody else can benefit from it.
- Handbook on a Post-Roe America by Robin Marty
- Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom by Christiane Northrup M.D.
- A Cooperative Method of Natural Birth Control by Margaret Nofziger
Websites & articles for information:
- An academic journal article (no paywall) detailing how to purchase safe, effective abortion pills online as a U.S. based consumer, including a chemical composition study of what was actually in those pills
- Women on Waves, providing information about the safety of abortion pills and on how to access self-managed abortion
- How Activists Can Prepare for a Post-Roe World video lecture on how to spread the word about self-managed abortion within your community
- Self-Managed Abortion with Pills how-to video lecture & information
- Investigative journalism article from 2018 on networks of people learning to provide at-home abortion services as a form of civil disobedience — full of great information and search terms to mine in Google
- Guide to performing a menstrual extraction with a homemade Del-Em device
- r/Childfree sourcing information about healthcare providers who will provide seterilization services in the U.S. and many parts of the world
- An overview of abortion laws by U.S. state, to help forecast which states might protect access to abortion if Roe v. Wade was repealed
Affordable Plan B and pregnancy tests to add to your prep kits:
- My Way Emergency Contraceptive (3 Plan B pills for $15 USD on Amazon)
- Pregnancy test strips (50 count for $15, $0.30 each, on Amazon)