For UK members: April 23rd 3pm (1500 local) Alert Test, What do you think???
I checked in here to see what you all thought of this alert thing? is it useful? does it have the potential to help anyone in a real situation? etc…
because I went to a busy motorway service station near me to see what would be like in a crowd, how people would respond and how easily heard it would be so that I would get the most from the test, and I know that other country use similar systems so I guess it must work
What I experienced:
– there was a loud noise because there was enough people with compatible phones for everyone in the crowd to hear it
– my phone was too old (you need android 11 or later), I did expect to receive a text at the very least but I got nothing
– I think it was about one in ten people with a version of android new enough to receive it
– This 1/10 included a group of Indian tourists (so where your SIM is registered doesn’t matter) you can still receive the alert, but it came through on there phones in English so the children had no idea what it was until there farther translated it for them
– There is no alert through FM or DAB radio, just phones
If I was on my own I would have had no way to receive this, but it is still better than nothing, so should I upgrade my phone?
What are you thoughts on the UK Alert System?