COVID-19 food shortages: get a CSA membership, or maybe your own chickens

On the morning of April 9, a truck pulled up outside Kerry Mergen’s egg farm in Albany, Minnesota. Fifteen workers got out with hoses of carbon dioxid
[See the full post at: COVID-19 food shortages: get a CSA membership, or maybe your own chickens]

• Comments (2)

I wasn’t familiar with CSAs. Thanks, definitely worth a look.

Chickens are so easy once they’ve grown up. The hardest thing is keeping an eye on them since everything bigger than a bunny wants to eat them too. I personally keep mine inside much longer than six weeks. I usually keep mine in for the first few months. Too many things can eat them when they’re really little like crows or house cats.

If you can, get a rooster for about every 10 hens. The guy will keep the hens from picking on eachother too much. He also finds food for them and (hopefully) protects them against predators.

They love being outside scratching around for food and taking dust baths. They don’t go far from their coop so you don’t have to worry about them running away. Just make sure you lock them up at night in a secure coop.