Best jacket/outer layer for the BOB?
I am looking for advice for a light-weight, space conscious (and hopefully budget conscious) option for my outer layer of clothing in my BOB. Right now I’m using a ridiculously bulky sweater, which is taking up way too much room. I don’t necessarily need this layer to be waterproof as I’m thinking of purchasing a cape/shelter thing for rain.
Here are my considerations:
- I’m a large person. Short, but big around. (and I prefer men’s clothing)
- I’m in Northern California. Our evenings can definitely get chilly, especially in the winter, but not usually below the mid 40s. Really cold winters have gotten into the 30s.
- I get hot easily, although in truth these days my temp regulation is kind of wacky and I can also get cold the next minute. But generally I don’t like to get too hot and don’t tolerate heat very well.
- I’m on a budget. I don’t have a lot of money. I do put aside about $45/month for prepping and I will save up for a more expensive item, but price matter.
- I don’t have a lot of space in my BOB — which I guess is true for most of us.
So, any suggestions?-