The Big Bubba of BOBs – I made a level 3 bag based off The Prepared’s recommendations

Living in earthquake country and not liking recent nuclear saber rattling I finally organized a “Level 3” BOB based on The Prepared’s well-researched guidelines.

I went through two other packs (Kelty Redwing 50 Tactical and the 5.11 Rush 72) before settling on the Mystery Ranch Terraframe 65 pack that could fit all this stuff AND be comfortable hauling it long distances. I do miss the many compartments of the Rush 72 but the MR pack is just so much more ergonomic, plus it’s less conspicuous (gray man). The BOB is currently 52 lbs. so I have some trimming to do and am considering switching to a mylar sleeping bag and lightweight bivy. In spite of the guidelines I opted for an inflatable sleeping pad for both comfort and reduced volume. I would have preferred to color code all my stuff sacks but getting individual bags of the right size and color was a PITA, plus I already know where everything is.

Anyway, I’d like to say “Thank You” to The Prepared staff for providing this invaluable and comprehensive resource. Although this project was more expensive than I’d anticipated, I’m glad I’ve completed it and have this tool available in case it’s needed. I hope the following pics are helpful for anyone that’s just now starting down this BOB rabbit hole 😉

BOB Page 001BOB Page 002BOB Page 003BOB Page 004BOB Page 005BOB Page 006

• Comments (27)

That is one of the most complete bug out bag I have ever seen. You did a great job at assembling it. 

Do you know how much it weighs?

What sleeping bag did you end up with and can you leave it compressed like that in storage?

Thanks, it still needs some refinement. The whole BOB including 38 oz water weighs 52 lbs. I’d prefer it was closer to 40 lbs. The sleeping bag and 2-person tent are about 7-8 lbs and I’m considering lighter options. The sleeping bag is a Big Agnes Sidewinder 20 SL (long).

I’m not sure why the photos are so low res, hopefully folks can still read the text.

Hi Felix!  Long time, no see! 😁 I was surprised to see you here! I made my level 3 bag based on recommendations here, too. I have a Kelty Redwing 44L Tactical backpack.  I really like how you set up your bag; thanks for sharing your pictures. Our IFAKs are basically the same, but mine is red. 😆 I never go anywhere without it or my bag in my car. I have three people to think of, so I have additional items in my car and in my bag for them. I agree that living so close to the fault as we do, that it is very important to have what we may need close to hand. I also have quite a few things at home in case of an emergency, since bugging in is probably the most accurate scenario for my family. 

Hi Michelle, it has been a long time and I’m equally and pleasantly surprised to see you here! Kudos to you for getting everything to fit into a 44l Redwing pack, you must really have your kit dialed in. I hear you on the bugging-in, we finally installed a couple 55 gal water drums this weekend although our food storage, once robust during COVID, has dwindled considerably as restrictions and supply chain issues have eased. Good job on the car kits, I’ll bet your garden is also a big part of your resiliency. 

Great presentation and congratulations on accomplishing this. 

I love my Dana Design Glacier that I purchased back in the day for backpacking.  Dana Designs has progressed to Mystery Ranch and still uses the same model names.  I’ve not upgraded it because 1) it doesn’t get much use so is still in great shape and 2) it’s still so comfortable despite my weight gain over the decades.  I didn’t use it for my BOB because 1) it’s heavier than the Kelty Redwing 50L I chose (older model with the outside stuff pocket); 2) it’s teal green and sticks up above my head when wearing it which makes it stand out quite a bit – not so gray man there, 3) I wanted the easier zip access versus only top loading design.  

I also went for an inflatable sleeping pad because I had one already, and for weight/volume.  My L3 BOB weighs in at 38lbs, but doesn’t have a firearm.  Chiseling weight is tough.  The largest difference I see besides the firearm is the 2person tent, potentially the sleeping bag, FAK document, saw, stove/fuel and water filter. 

Thanks, and well done at 38lbs! It seems you included a link but it just went to a 404 error. In addition to the items you mentioned, I suspect my PPE and food kits are a bit on the larger side.

It’s my GF kit on the Kits Page.  I didn’t want it to flow into a large listing here.  But apparently that is the way it has to go.

Second the applause for your 38lbs! If you have time to do a photo project and lay it out like Felix did, that would be cool to see!

Well, I need some Lessons from Felix. I did take a series of photos and was disappointed that i could only post one in the kit builder. Not everything is in packing cubes/bags which is how it all gets crammed in and i didn’t take a photo before i emptied them out. Top pocket is still empty for protection  

stuffed and closed 50L kelty redwing. 
        7180EFDE-7878-4FFF-9C86-8100550DF5C0

Front pocket open then emptied. 7D6316F2-5638-416C-B999-8F23B979832A
        A1961570-0152-4558-9ED3-9D35EB02879E

One side pocket emptied then the other side41E85366-5C27-4D53-85C5-F59ACDAB487BC66FE182-F969-41D8-A0F7-ED27AED600F3then the main compartment emptied. 

1EE11273-A337-4FE7-A4DA-42F5FA9AA89E
        Shoes are outside and separate. 

Thank you for sharing those additional pictures Alicia! I agree that adding the ability to add more pictures to the kit would be a nice feature to add in the future.

In the meantime, what you could possibly do is create a new group at the end of your kit with additional pictures.

Screenshot from 2022-05-18 09-48-07

Thanks Gideon.  I’d not thought of that.  I certainly wasn’t going to take a photo of every item which is where my mind was for that capability.  Now that I found them again and learned how to edit them a bit on my smartphone, I’ll do that.

Thank you so much for sharing your full L3 BOB! I have accepted that will never have a full L3 load out— I’m just too small, and have lots of cranky muscles and injury-prone areas from spending my twenties basically running or hunched over a laptop— so it’s really cool to have an annotated photo tour of someone else’s!

One question: Do you happen to have a link to the IFAK bag you got? I ordered one off of Amazon once and, despite promising measurements, it didn’t fit all my stuff. Seeing yours gives me hope that I can squeeze it all in to one container… then I could pass the stuffed one I’m using to my husband (whose smaller IFAK is also straining the seams of a too-small case).

Sure, I ordered this Livans 8x8x4 bag from Amazon.

LIVANS Tactical First Aid Pouch, Molle EMT Pouches Rip-Away Military IFAK Medical Bag Outdoor Emergency Survival Kit Quick Release Design Include Red Cross Patch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y7CRKS6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_D6ZASRCA0Y8RZY7EM2FX?psc=1

I wanted something with a lot of space but not as deep to fit in the stuff pocket. also long enough to fit a splint without refolding it.   I like the vanquest fatnax that fit the bill.   Full disclosur: I have 4weeks of meds so they are separate in a pelican case.  https://www.vanquest.com/fatpack-7×10-gen-2-first-aid-trauma-pack/

Thanks, Alicia! I think I might try the one Felix recommended and go to yours (which is both larger and more expensive) if it doesn’t work. So great to have a couple of quality options!

If I do the math, it’s like 3cubic inches smaller than Felix’s.  It’s a larger footprint, but shallower depth with rounded corners to help me stuff it in.  So the one Felix uses is both larger AND cheaper.  

Math— I should try it sometime! 😀 At this point I’m sort of tempted to order both, see which one fits my stuff and stuffs/attaches better, and return the other…

Thank you so much! That is, indeed, a tad bigger than the one I returned.

Check it out: 

IMG_6218

I got it, it fits my stuff, and— after some concerted effort— I got it strapped to the outside of my BOB.

It is, however, protruding pretty markedly from the back of the bag. Here’s the whole setup in profile:

IMG_6219

Should I care? Should I just get the flatter, wider Vanquest that Alicia has? Thoughts?

Well you know my bias already 🙂  Seriously, though, how does it ‘feel’ with and without it at that location when you’re wearing the pack?  Does it pull you back and off balance?  Does it catch too much when you turn or start you swinging?  It could also be better at a different location like under the lid or attached to the bottom (but will get more abuse).  Both of those spots would probably benefit from the flatter but pricier Vanquest option.  I also liked that I could put the tourniquet on the side on the Vanquest since the zippers are on the front.  I’d forgotten about the fast open pull zipper feature of the FatMax as well.   

And pnwsarah, i know i am not carrying this BOB very far given my level of fitness. I wanted something complete and manageable. I can don it and hike with it if necessary, but we would be using a wagon to take the pets already if going on foot and that would go faster. Most scenarios at least start by car an it will also lighten as some will get consumed. 

Alicia, you (probably) know I love a pragmatic/realistic approach— i.e., “Most scenarios at least start by car” + having a comprehensive plan even if it’s not perfect. It sounds like your setup gives you flexibility/options. Loved seeing the photos, too, so thanks for that!

You are welcome. Although, I wouldn’t say my/our plan is comprehensive.  That truly made me laugh!    If I am recalling as well, you were the one asking about pack external organization/pockets and why it’s a priority for some of us.  You can see how much was stuffed in the two sets of side pockets with the signature slip through on the Kelty.  And in the front pocket org panel it kept the items more distributed as well as secure enabling the cards and Pelican case of meds to go in the bottom of that zip compartment.  

Sarah, I also cannot do a L3 full load out. One of the main reasons is that we’re in the hot desert and need to carry loads more water than yall. 

While I do have a regular-sized backpack stripped down to absolute essentials that I will wear, I have the rest of the gear (plus more water) in a tan ROAM Rugged Case which fits in a Gorilla Cart.

I painted the cart tan and replaced the pneumatic tires that it came with to No-Flat tires. 

Now we’ve got a good way to bug out to our location by pulling the cart by hand or hooking it up to a bike. Or, we can load it up in a car and if we need to ditch the car, can still take stuff with us.

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 12.49.08 AMScreen Shot 2022-05-17 at 12.55.31 AM

Hadn’t thought of the “need to carry more water” problem, JB, but makes sense and I love the case/cart combo. That sounds like something I might replicate when my dog gets older— though currently I’m training him to ride in a bike trailer, and the only one big enough for him also has a push bar with a hand brake so it can function like a stroller, so we have that option, too. Never really thought of it as a prep— just a way to do exercise vacations given the differing sport preferences, fitness levels, and heat tolerances of our various family members— but you’ve made me realize that it works as such, and could be improved for that purpose with tire upgrades.

Very impressive setup! Thank you for sharing.